Friday, February 6, 2009

a real update =P

I'm sorry that I haven't posted a REAL update about the goings-on in Angers...I've been a little busy, but also a little lazy about keeping in better touch with you folks back across the Big Pond.

Today is my 3rd full day in Angers, and I have discovered quite a bit. I've been downtown (centre ville if you remember) several times so far, including this afternoon. I left the house around 2pm and it's about 4:30pm right now. I'm sitting in the huge lobby at CIDEF because I'm tired from exploring. When I decided to head downtown to explore, I didn't really have a plan in mind at all. I actually decided to take random streets when I came to them because I was feeling quite adventurous. I didn't get lost at all, in fact, despite all the random streets I took and walking from here to eternity. Part of the reason for exploring a lot this afternoon was to figure out what the heck I'm going to include in my short film project. So far, I don't much, but I'm thinking that the film might be based around the lively culture here. There is so much to do and see - even if you don't want to go shopping, it's amazing to walk around and see the cool buildings and what people are wearing. I'm definitely taking advantage of the "soldes" because they end on the 10th (that's Tuesday, right? haha). Today, I bought more clothes and shoes because I just don't think I can have enough French stuff. I bought a cute pair of brown shoes from a tiny little store downtown called Miss Coquines. They were only 5 euros (multiply 5 times 1.4 and that's the USD price...). I also bought a shirt for 7 euros at this French store called Promod (which is where I bought a few things from at Galeries Lafayette in Paris). I think I've decided that this French chain is my favorite so far. The clothes are just so darn cute! The shirt is a bit eclectic - a mix of patterns on each part (the sleeves, the part above the boobs, the part below the boobs, etc.). It sounds strange but I promise you it's super cute.

Before heading downtown-downtown, I found a store of "fournitures" (school supplies - Ani and I first thought that it was furniture, but we discovered differently at some point), and I've been needing some random things so I went inside. I bought some small Post-its to stick all over my map of Angers for places I want to go or where things are located. I'm also going to stick them on my map of France that Ann bought me to do the same type of thing. I was terribly innovative the other day when I needed to hang up my map of Angers. Madame didn't have any tape so I cut some ribbon that I had brought with me and sewed it to the map. I then hung up the map on my door. Yes, I brought ribbon and a sewing kit with me, but as you see, it came in handy, did it not??? Anyway, in the fourniture store I found some poster sticky stuff to actually put up my posters and pictures, as I don't want to leave holes in the walls of my room. It's already cut into little squares so it's also convenient. Why can't we have the same thing in America??? I think we are just a little behind in some aspects of simple technology.

Yesterday after our tour of the UCO campus and eating déjeuner (lunch) with Ani, Mioko and the other girl whose name I can never remember ( a housemate of Ani's), I explored downtown by myself. I actually bought a few things at H&M (definitely stores in America, so you might have heard of it). I think, if I recall correctly, that I bought 2 chapeaux (hats), une écharpe (scarf), and 2 dresses for something like 28 euros (again multiply by 1.4 and it's the approximate price). Like I said before, I am totally taking advantages of all the "soldes" here! After that, I probably won't be spending much money on stuff but traveling and food.

While I was downtown yesterday near the Ralliement (some sort of parking area, I think?), a young woman approched me and asked me if I wanted to participate in a survey. I thought for a second and then I said, eh, why not? How often am I in France being asked to take a survey in French??? It was a questionnaire basically about my diet habits, particularly my fruit and veggie intake. She asked me the questions (she had a sheet with them where you put the answers) and I responded appropriately. One of the last questions was about, if given the chance to enter a café-type place serving only fruit products and soups, would I enter it? I answered that most likely I would, at least occasionally. Another question that I remember was my opinion of eating fruits and veggies, such as it was a chore, it was a pleasure, only if I had to, etc., and I love fruits and veggies so I said that I ate them with great pleasure. It was really cool to be able to participate in a survey entirely in French.

I haven't been asked for directions yet, but only once has someone asked me if I speak English (not necessarily if I am American). That means that I seem to be blending in quite well and dressing appropriately. For fashion stuff, I am certainly paying attention to the other young women my age and trying to dress similarly. Some of the outfits I have seen are just ludicrous and not at all practical, so I basically ignore any of those that I see.

A lot of the students here for Spring 2009 are of asian background - mostly Japanese. I have met a couple of people from Great Britain and I think the rest are mostly American. I've tried to steer clear of most of the Americans because they tend to speak English most of the time. I guess maybe they aren't very good in French, so that's why they speak English, but either way, I don't care to hang out with them. I'm here to speak French and the more French I speak, the better life seems to be and also the more vocabulary I learn. I'm learning at least a couple of words a day so far and I haven't even started classes yet. Speaking of classes, I really really hope that the results come out to the 3eme moyen (highest intermediate) or superieur (advanced) because if I am not challenged, I don't think I will like my classes. But Ani and I seem to be far above the rest in our abilities, so I think our chances in placing high are very good.

Okay, I think I'm going back chez moi (to my home) and put up some of my plans (maps) of Angers and Paris. Then I think I'll make some notes on my pretty new fluorescent sticky notes to figure out a better plan of what I might do with my film, CORE 200, etc.

My little bout of homesickness has stayed just that - little. I think I just feel a little nostalgic sometimes and then I remember that I am in France and I have so much to learn and so much to experience!!!!!!! Tomorrow I am going to the grand marché (big market...loosely translated) where everything is supposedly super cheap. I think I'll buy some fruit and who knows what else.

I'll probably going to blog a little more this evening to tell you more about my famille (family). I hope you are learning these French words from my blog, just like I am learning other new French words just by being here!!!

♥ you all so very much,
jh

No comments:

Post a Comment