After arriving in St. Malo, Ani and I headed toward centre-ville. We stopped at a few shops, mostly ones for souvenirs for Bretagne (Brittany). We saw a few CIDEF people at this one café and grabbed a little snack. Ani bought a galette with butter and sugar and I bought this pastry thing that was sweet and a little buttery, but I can't for the life of me remember how it was pronounced or how it was spelled, so...I have no idea. It was a little bit like a palmier, but thicker (and better, as it wasn't crunchy like a palmier). Ani and I then decided we wanted to go see Nemo and all his friends (including the sharks) at the aquarium so we stopped to orient ourselves within the city. The map we had was terrible, but along the way, we found a neat WWII memorial (of which I have pictures). We made our way back to the ramparts where we thought the aquarium should be, but we never did find it. We walked up along the ramparts (while looking for it) and found a road called "rue du Chat qui Danse" which means the Cat that dances Street. Amusing and completely adorable. If I can own my own road one day, I will name it that, in French, because it's just so much prettier, duh! Ani and I found a way down from the ramparts to the beach, so we decided to walk there. We had to climb over some rocks and such, but plenty of people had done it before (a path), so we didn't have too much trouble. I was fascinated by the little tidal pools and kept taking pictures of them. At one point, I found one that still had an anemone in it that I poked a little with a small piece of driftwood, but it didn't react. Guess it was used to people like me poking it and/or animals irritating it. So we walked along the beach, climbed over rocks when needed, which happened to be quite often, and when we'd reached the point where we had actually climbed up steps to get onto the ramparts, we decided we were famished. We headed back into centre-ville and found a little café that had very decently priced galettes. I ordered a galette with fromage et jambon (ham and cheese), and I think Ani ordered the galette complète. We got a bottle of Bréton cidre to go with it, and thankfully Ani thought of me enough to order the sweet one and not the other. :) There's a saying in France that goes something like "Quand on dit une galette, on dit le cidre," which means, "When one says galette, one says cider." Basically, it means you can't eat a galette without cider and vice versa. The cider gave me an awful headache afterward, so I guess I drank it too fast? Whatever...
Ahhh Mont Saint Michel. Can I live there? It's so BEAUTIFUL! Of course, I had to use the restroom immediately after getting there, and I had to pay 0.40 euros to do it. I had to PAY TO USE THE RESTROOM!!!!! Jerks. We then proceeded to climb about 200 million bazillion flights of stairs and my knee had, of course, picked today to hurt. On top of that, I didn't have much water on me and I didn't have my inhaler with me, so by the time we finally reached the top, I could barely breathe. Cold air + mild asthma = hurting lungs. I was probably the happiest when we entered a little area that had a garden/small lawn type thing in the middle. The first thing I did was look at Ani, jump up and down, and say, "OMG ANI! It's just like in HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ani simply responded, "Julia, only YOU would make that connection!" You can see from the pictures what I'm talking about, though, if you've ever seen any of the Harry Potter movies. It does look Hogwarts-esque. =P
The pictures of Mont Saint Michel pretty much speak for themselves of the beauty of the place. At one point, I saw light coming in through a window at a certain angle, so I was completely inspired to take a picture of myself looking up out toward the window with my hands together, looking like I'm praying. If you're religious and even you find this funny, congratulations, you have a sense of humor. :) If not...sorry, but I wasn't the only one who had this idea!! =P
I thought ahead before leaving to buy a sandwich for dinner (ham and cheese..what can I say? It's freaking awesome here!). I also bought a little model of Mont Saint Michel and found a gift for Carlene, but in case she reads this, I don't want to say what it is because it's a surprise. She is going to LOVE it, though! :) Then, the trip was pretty much over and I had no choice but to leave. Such a wonderful day, but so tiring, too. When we arrived home around 8pm, I stumbled home and wanted to crash, but given the tech person I am, I had to check my emails and Facebook. Then people wanted to talk to me on Facebook, so I didn't get into bed until nearly 10pm. I finally woke up completely today around 1:30pm. Glorious, glorious sleep.
So that was my day yesterday! Hope you likey my photos. :)
♥
jh

haha i said the same thing about hogwarts when we went there! and yes we took a prayer pic in that same window. im sad it was probably cold when you went to st malo though. when we went it was warm and we were able to take off our shoes and walk through the water and play with seaweed. and i brought a shell back...oops.
ReplyDelete-moi
my mom was very excited about the Hogwarts pic!!!!!!!!!!! <3
ReplyDeleteIt DOES look like Hogwarts!! Very cool! Glad you made the bus in time. ;-)
ReplyDeleteLooks beautiful!